An arc flash is a mass of heat and pressure caused by a switchgear fault. Not only does it cause power outages, but it can also result in loss of business, extensive material damage, and can seriously jeopardize the safety of operational staff. Should a fault occur, arc flash protection minimizes burning time by quickly tripping the circuit breaker, cutting off the current feeding the arc. Short arc burning times are critical, especially when the arc develops during maintenance work on the switchgear, causing property damages. The unique arc fault functionality adds a new dimension to the total protection and reliability of the power distribution installation.Schneider Electric’s active arc flash protection units can detect arc flash faults and send a trip command to the circuit breakers within 1 ms to distinguish the fault.
Standard Manufacturer’s Warranty: 2 years
- Low investment costs and fast installation
The pre-designed and documented protection schemes are cost-effective, fast to install and commission, and require low investment. One successful operation of the arc protection system provides an immediate return on the investment.
- Reduced loss of production
The faster that arc protection operates, the less damage is caused by the arc fault, reducing the possible outage of the power supply.
- Easy installation in existing switchgear
The product’s design allows for easy installation in existing switchgear. A number of accessories simplify and speed up installation in existing switchgear and electrical panels thanks to its compact design and installation kits.
- Reduced insurance costs
The faster and better the protection system, the more generous the insurance terms and lower the cost should be.
- Protection against reduced insulation due to a dirty environment
- Precise and selective pre-tested operation schemes
- Motor control center supervision
Buildings and infrastructure
- Interface with building automation over contact outputs to speed up switchgear maintenance
- Additional protection against faults due to harmonic distortion in the power system
- Compact size enables flexible installation
- Protection of generator, transformer, converter cabinet, cable joints, and circuit breaker compartments
- Generator set emergency trip
- Safety loop support
- Entry range product for arc flash protection
- Extension for more extensive schemes utilizing installed sensors becomes possible
- Additional protection for seldom-used network configurations