- Data meets nature Green Mountain case study
Green Mountain puts the power of nature to use in their secure data center, deep inside a Norwegian mountain.
Challenge• We are consuming data at an unprecedented pace: 3 billion Facebook videos viewed daily; 300 hours of video uploaded to YouTube every hour.
• In today’s data-driven world, the uptime of colocation data centers – vast banks of servers that process everything from online videos to financial assets – is essential.
• Delivering secure and reliable data center services can come at an environmental cost though: energy use in data centers today contributes to 2% of global CO2 emissions.
• So how did one colocation facility, built in a former NATO bunker buried deep within a mountain, turn the tables and use the power of nature to become one of the world’s most reliable and sustainable data centers?
SolutionReliability and Sustainability with EcoStruxure
Edge Control: Power Logic Controls
Connected Products: In-Row cooling system, Scalable InfraStruxure
• When Green Mountain decided to implement the idea of a green data center, they needed contractors and suppliers that had the most energy efficient and reliable solutions available in the market.
• Powered by 100% renewable hydro power, Green Mountain supports the critical uptime needs of its customers and operates as one of the greenest data centers in the world with close to zero CO2 emissions.
• A Tier III certified data center, the IT room boasts an impressive Power Usage Effectiveness (PUE) of less than 1.2. Green Mountain measures and reports PUE in real-time to customers.
Learn how your business can achieve success with Innovation At Every Level.
Discover more customer stories
Results• Data Center Infrastructure Management (DCIM) tools, control components and about 12,000 measuring points
• Symmetra™ MW UPSs, Canalis LV busway, Prisma LV Distribution
• SM6 + transformers
• MV/Citect Scada
• Uniflair™ technical room coolers, Infrastruxure™ hot aisle containment systems with in-row coolers and racks