- 1906 The Merten brothers establish the company in Gummersbach, Germany.
- 1926 Initially producing electrical installation components, Merten moves into plugs and connectors.
- 1961 Merten demonstrates design competency and innovation in its first switch with a screwless cover.
- 1985 Merten focuses on building security and, in 1988, introduces its ARGUS movement detector.
- 2000 The company launches TRANCENT, the world's first glass pushbutton, and the PLANTEC intelligent control device.
- 2004 The company develops its merten@home system, allowing for control of all building functions by PDA, PC or TV.
- 2006 Merten joins Scheider Electric, strengthening the group's global presence in the electrical installation market.