Sustainable Transport: An Overview
Any transport which does not have a negative impact on the environment in any capacity can be categorized as sustainable transport. This type of transport is sustainable in terms of its social and environmental impacts. It is also concerned with balancing our current needs with our future generation requirements. Another name for this type of sustainable transport is green transportation. According to the European Union, sustainable transport can be described as a system that can
- Cater to the basic access and development of needs of individuals and society in a manner that is consistent with ecosystem health and promotes equity between multiple coming generations.
- It can be described as a transportation system that is affordable and offers a fairly efficient experience. -
- Limits carbon emissions and waste production considerably when compared to traditional forms of transport. Some types of sustainable transport use renewable forms of energy.
Ever since the inception of sustainable transport, there have been many different types of sustainable transport that have made a significant impact on the transportation industry. One thing which defines different types of sustainable transport is their fuel source. Their primary fuel sources are renewable and green energy instead of fossil fuels like coal and petroleum, which can have an adverse effect on the planet. any type of sustainable transport is much safer because they use renewable energy.
Some well-known examples of sustainable energy are cycling, walking, public transport, etc.; we will discuss these types of sustainable transport a little later in this blog.
Benefits of Sustainable Transport
Leveraging fossil fuels in the transportation sector is fairly common because it is the most commonly used fuel to power engines. But this perception is now undergoing a change. The urgency of climate change and the proliferation of sustainable transportation have put forth many advantages to the environment and the end consumer.
- Regardless of the type of sustainable transport being used, it is an established fact that they emit less pollution. This is highly beneficial for the environment as carbon emissions from conventional petrol and diesel-powered vehicles harm the environment.
- Since sustainable transport emits less pollution, it promotes the physical well-being of the population. The air pollution levels are at a constant high, especially in metropolitan cities. This results in multiple health ailments in the lungs, heart, as well as other respiratory issues.
- Sustainable transport helps in relieving congestion. The nominal cost of using sustainable public transit helps in keeping personal vehicles off the streets and promotes optimal energy efficiency.
Types of Sustainable Transport
Here is a quick look at the different types of sustainable transport that can be effectively used to alleviate the negative impact on the environment.
- Electric vehicles: The healthy growth rate of e-vehicles across the globe solidifies the urgency to transition to green energy. E-vehicles are one of the foremost types of sustainable transport that help in minimizing carbon emissions without sacrificing comfort or performance.
- Bicycles: One of the most economical alternatives, using bicycles over short distances can help not only the environment but also an individual’s health. Cycling is considered a healthy activity that can help individuals stay fit while keeping pollution at bay.
- Natural gas transport: A reliable type of sustainable transport, natural gas has a significantly lower carbon footprint and is cheaper when compared to petrol and diesel. Moreover, CNG has become the primary fuel for public transport across various countries.
Moving Towards a Sustainable Future with Green Yodha
With sustainability at the forefront, Green Yodha
is the constructive brainchild of Schneider Electric, focused on encouraging collective effort to propel the global transformation toward sustainability. It aims to push the global population toward a new realm of electricity and meet sustainability goals as curated by the United Nations.
The panel of energy specialists at Green Yodha can direct enterprises in their transition to green energy. Decarbonization, sustainable upgrades, effective recycling, and electricity optimization are a few ways in which Green Yodha can help organizations become reliable and enhance efficiency.