Molding Tooling Engineer
The primary responsibility for the Plastics Engineer is to provide technical direction and Ready to Serve support for all GSC North American plants to assist them in delivering and improving their service levels, part quality levels and identify ways to drive productivity within the Plastics North American supply base. The Plastics Engineer will need have extensive knowledge of Safety as it relates to this technical area, LOTO, press and die safety, “No hands in Die”, PPE.
The Plastics Engineer will have extensive knowledge of production & fabrication equipment, including molds and various types of technologies within the industry; thermoset, thermoplastics, rubber, hot runner, mold flow analysis, etc. The Plastics Engineer will work closely with Purchasing to drive the right decisions (technical, sourcing, etc) for our North American supply base with respect to our SE owned tooling and its ongoing support, maintenance and performance. The Plastics Engineer will support North American plants and external supply base and other functions for technical support and productivity and reports to the Plastics Core Technology Manager.
- Effectively work and collaborate with Plants, Engineering and Procurement to drive improvements in SE tooling and plastic part fabrication processes. Be the technical lead and focal point for the technology within North America.
- Ability to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization, and external Owner/General Engineers of molding suppliers.
- Represent the voice of the customer and drive safety, quality, delivery and productivity through SE owned tool and process management regardless of location.
- Experience in Capital Management and fabrication for Plastics tooling. Ability to forecast tooling needs, quote and execute projects in a timely manner. Resolve or escalate barriers as needed.
- Work with Procurement in the selection of suppliers, establishing SPC parameters and monitoring key metrics to assure internal and external processes meet and/or exceed minimum product performance specification, establishing continuous improvement programs to minimize cost and increase efficiencies.
- Analyze and identify improvement opportunities to increase efficiencies, reduce scrap and maintain and/or increase product performance in accordance with Schneider Electric and professional standards and customer requirements.
- Work with Procurement and the plants to continuously drive productivity and ensure SE tools are maintained in our supply base.
- Utilize and drive standardization with our Tooling Management software, Avantis for this technology.
- Support technical supplier audits in Plastics and conduct periodic assessments of plant operations to evaluate the effectiveness of programs, recommend improvements.
- Assist Procurement as needed in technical assessment and qualification of all out sourced contractors and suppliers.
- Help identify and implement projects beyond the capability and scope of the plant, tooling transfers to assist in annual productivity challenges.
- Provide technical and RTS support for Tools, Plant mold presses and equipment to North America plants.
- Develop technical solutions for external and internal process issues in our manufacturing and fabrication processes. Ensure high quality parts through process monitoring.
- Ensure suppliers are taking proper care of our Tooling assts in the supply base. Ensure all Plastic suppliers have updated Tooling Maintenance agreements in place.
- Develop / support supplier development plans to enable supply chain growth for the long term to support our localization strategy
- Minimum education level for position: BSME, BSIE, BSBA, or equivalent.
- Six Sigma Green Belt desirable along with SPS Lean Skills or equivalent.
- Experience: 3 to 5 years proven management of tooling new construction and tooling maintenance operations for thermoset and thermoplastic tooling.
- 3 to 5 years experience in thermoset and thermoplastic processing.
- Skills: Customer oriented, leadership, resolve issues, teamwork
- Fluent in English
- Spanish language skills a plus
- Travel: Up to 50% Travel required. The ability to hold a valid passport is required.