Johannesburg South Africa, 09 May 2018
- Indispensable for data centres
- Maximum continuity of service
- Optimised energy management
Almost no operation today can withstand the impact of the loss of electrical power, from both a business continuity aspect and occupants’ safety and comfort. This is particularly true of data centres, which can run up millions of rands of losses in the event of extended power outages.
What is needed is a source-changeover system, operating through manual, remote or automatic selection. Schneider Electric offers Transferpact, a natural continuation of its world leading low voltage distribution systems. Switching is performed by Compact or Masterpact circuit breakers, the ultimate references in industrial switchgear.
A source-changeover system is not only indispensable for applications needing continuous supply of electric power but is also highly suitable for all LV electrical installations exposed to:
- Nominal voltage loss or dip (when there is high demand for electric power)
- Unpredictable power quality
- Frequent power cuts
- Time operating restrictions imposed by utility suppliers
“For infrastructure managers, a source-changeover system gives direct economic benefits: it is possible to select your source, based on power cost. In this case, the replacement source is used as an alternative, more economical source to manage energy efficiently, contain power costs and maintain safety,” explains James Calmeyer, Vice President of the Buildings division in Southern Africa for Schneider Electric.
Three system choices
- Industry (assembly lines, engine rooms on ships, critical auxiliaries in thermal power stations, etc)
- Infrastructure (port and railway installations, runway lighting systems, control systems on military sites, etc.)
- Commercial and service sector (hospital operating rooms, building’s safety systems, computer rooms for banks and insurance companies, lighting and emergency lighting systems in malls, etc), industry and infrastructure
- Buildings and infrastructure where the need for continuity of service is significant but not a priority: offices, small and medium-sized businesses
Schneider Electric offers three ways to switch the load to meet customers’ needs.
1. Manual source-changeover system (MTSE) is controlled manually by an operator and has two or three mechanically interlocked manually operated circuit breakers or two switch-disconnectors. The time required to switch from the ‘N’ source to ‘R’ source can vary.
2. Remote-operated source-changeover system (RTSE) is the most commonly used system for devices with high ratings. No direct human intervention is required. Source-changeover is controlled electrically. The system has two or three circuit breakers that may have different configurations, linked by an electrical interlocking system. In addition, a mechanical interlocking system protects against electrical malfunctions or incorrect manual operations.
3. Automatic source-changeover system (ATSE) may be added to a remote-operated source-changeover system. It is possible to control source transfer automatically, according to programmed (dedicated controllers) or programmable (PLC) operating modes. These solutions ensure optimum energy management. As for the RTSE system, however, there is also an automatic control system (dedicated controllers or PLC).
“For maximum continuity of service, maximum safety, optimised energy management and simplicity and reliability, Schneider Electric source changeover systems have proved their reliability everywhere around the world, in most power dependable buildings,” concludes Calmeyer.
About Schneider Electric
Schneider Electric is leading the digital transformation of energy management and automation in homes, buildings, data centres, infrastructure and industries. With global presence in over 100 countries, Schneider is the undisputable leader in Power Management – Medium Voltage, Low Voltage and Secure Power, and in Automation Systems. We provide integrated efficiency solutions, combining energy, automation and software. In our global Ecosystem, we collaborate with the largest partner, integrator and developer community on our open platform to deliver real-time control and operational efficiency. We believe that great people and partners make Schneider a great company and that our commitment to innovation, diversity and sustainability ensures that Life Is On everywhere, for everyone and at every moment.