Changing sustainability perceptionsWith innovative technology and services at every level of the organization, Blackstone developed an aggressive and sustainable energy-management strategy, which is paying dividends at over 20 portfolio companies and counting.
The Challenge• Blackstone is one of the world’s largest private equity firms, managing more than $365 billion in assets. To stay ahead in a competitive market, the company looks for every opportunity to save and is quick to move and capitalize on smart investments.
• Blackstone oversees operations across multiple industries and geographies – a portfolio with a sizeable energy spend.
• To manage resources and expenses, Blackstone needed actionable energy and sustainability data for the companies it owns and supports.
• “It’s critical to handle each region with some level of consistency. We’re a data-driven organization. And I approach sustainability the same way. I have to have good data no matter the location,” said Don Anderson, Chief Sustainability Officer at Blackstone.
The SolutionConnectivity and Efficiency with EcoStruxure™
Apps, Analytics & Services : Resource Advisor enterprise data management platform
Energy & Sustainability Services : Energy consulting and strategic energy sourcing
• Working with Schneider Electric, Blackstone developed an aggressive energy-management and sustainability strategy.
• Blackstone uses EcoStruxure Resource Advisor, a cloud-based platform that captures and normalizes energy and utility data at all levels of the company’s portfolio, from individual sites to regional cross sections.
• The technology is paired with an Energy & Sustainability Services consultant from Schneider Electric, dedicated for each site. These experts help interpret the data, and pinpoint and act on opportunities for efficiency improvements.
• Data from Resource Advisor allows Blackstone to negotiate contracts with utilities and other suppliers, getting the right source of energy at the lowest possible rates.
• The data is also used to develop sector-specific scorecards, which are automatically updated to drive program participation across critical KPIs.
The Results• Active energy management programs and collaboration at over 20 portfolio companies and counting.
• Tens of millions in energy savings from sustainability efforts and strategic energy sourcing.
• Ongoing relationships and cost reduction with companies after they have been divested.
• “Having data on past performance helps me make the case to the next business,” Anderson said.
EcoStruxure Resource Advisor
Energy Efficiency Consulting
Blackstone Corporate Social Responsibility
Strategic Energy Sourcing
Find answers now. Search for a solution on your own, or connect with one of our experts.
Reach out to our customer care team to receive more information, technical support, assistance with complaints and more.