One of the primary objectives of an organization or an enterprise is to maintain its edge in the market. In order to achieve this goal, business owners try to hire experienced and innovative minds who can come up with novel strategies to enhance their brand image while making better profits.
In this article, we will throw some light on the fundamentals and advantages of a sustainable business. So, what are sustainable businesses, and why are they slowly becoming the need of the hour?
In simple terms, a green business, or a sustainable business, is an organization with minimal environmental impact. It is equipped with the right resources that positively affect the economy, environment, society, and community.
Below we have mentioned some of the many objectives and features of green business management that promises an efficient, brighter, and sustainable future:
1. Awareness and involvement
Most people perceive climate change and sustainability as vast and abstract topics. However, it is imperative for people to realize the power of their actions and choices. Any large or small-scale sustainable business comprises several employees, including managers, operators, administrators, and more.
In order to ensure sustainable business development, every employee of the organization must understand the impact of sustainable goals that might include:
- Reduced carbon footprint
- Waste reduction in their overall processing and manufacturing systems
- Accelerating innovation by reusing and recycling their resources
In addition, if the senior management is committed to achieving the sustainability goals, it automatically sets the tone for the entire workforce, including external stakeholders, business partners, and other organizations associated with the business.
2. Incorporation of renewable sources of energy
The industrial and commercial sectors produce a massive amount of carbon and greenhouse gas emissions  . One of the primary features of a sustainable business is the deployment of renewable energy equipment like solar panels, windmills, hydropower, and more. Here is how sustainable businesses benefit by onboarding renewable sources of energy:
- Renewable equipment diversifies the supply of energy while reducing dependence on expensive and imported fuels like coal, oil, and natural gas.
- Most sustainable businesses carry a carbon neutral certificate that enhances their brand name, highlighting their futuristic and thoughtful vision.
- Installation of renewable energy equipment requires a team of skilled professionals. Hence, sustainable businesses indirectly also lead to the propagation of sustainable ideas while contributing to economic development.
3. Increased productivity with better savings
The development and expansion of sustainable businesses eventually result in effective operations that conserve resources and streamline effort, accelerating employee productivity and lowering the overall costs.
Cost reduction also entails several conservation strategies switching off unnecessary electric appliances, leveraging geothermal cooling and heating systems, installing CFL lights, and more. Even though these procedures seem like an expensive investment in the beginning, they have greater long-term results beneficial to the company and the environment.
Several leading multinational companies, like Panasonic, Unilever, Patagonia, Seventh Generation, Adobe, Nike, and more, are paving the way toward a green and environment-friendly future.
These organizations are setting a benchmark in several industries on how corporations can achieve their professional targets while meeting sustainability goals. Here is a brief glimpse of how the above-mentioned enterprises are making a sustainable future a reality:
- Panasonic has partnered with multiple companies to build a Sustainable Smart Town in Japan that revolves around smart and sustainable practices.
- Seventh Generation is a sustainable enterprise based in America that came up with the novel idea of sustainably manufacturing paper, cleaning, and personal care products.
Since heavy amounts of toxic chemicals are released via cleaning products, this eco-friendly business came up with greener versions of personal care products that do not contribute to groundwater pollution.
- Unilever has also made a name for themselves in green business management by reducing their greenhouse gas emissions and total waste footprint by reaching 1.3 billion people via their health and hygiene programs.
Further, one can also choose to make their ongoing business green and sustainable by following some steps given below:
- Try and shortlist the goals you can follow from the pool of sustainability goals and start drawing cooperate green strategies around them.
- Calculate the total energy consumption levels of your organization and figure out ways to cut down your utility bills. Also, carve out some budgets for leveraging efficient renewable equipment like solar panels, solar inverters, windmills, etc.
- Another way you can turn your business into a sustainable one is by collaborating with different sustainability consultants and carbon-neutral consulting firms. They will suggest workable strategies and practices that make your organization more eco-friendly, sustainable, and productive.
- Lastly, apart from going renewable  and reducing your overall carbon footprint, it is imperative to find support for an eco-friendly cause that fits well with your company's vision. Choosing a specific cause like reducing water pollution or reforestation can play an instrumental role in attracting customers who are inclined toward environment conservation.
Schneider Electric: Powering sustainable businesses with efficient solutions
Over the years, Schneider Electric has built a name for itself for being a sustainable, green, and futuristic organization. We believe in filling the gap between sustainability and progress by offering a range of products, solutions, and services to accelerate the efficiency levels of your home and workplace.
We have been honored with prestigious awards and accreditations like DCS Awards 2021 for 'Outstanding Contribution to Sustainability and Efficiency', Dow Jones 2021, 11th time in a row by Dow Jones Sustainability World Index, and more.
Since our primary aim is to accelerate sustainability for all, we make the most of digital technology, support and promote local initiatives, uphold our ethical standards, and invest in developing innovative solutions to deliver lasting decarbonization that aligns with our carbon pledge.
Explore our site today to know more about our goals, visions, products, and services.
Find answers now. Search for a solution on your own, or connect with one of our experts.
Reach out to our customer care team to receive more information, technical support, assistance with complaints and more.
Where to buy?
Easily find the nearest Schneider Electric distributor in your location.
Search topic-related frequently asked questions to find answers you need.