Smart manufacturing for the sugar industrySouth African food producer's modernisation and digitisation of its ageing sugar mill with EcoStruxure Plant has led to an increase in throughput of up to 20%, helping them become more efficient and reliable to stay competitive.
Its obsolete DCS system for the juice preparation and crystallisation areas of the Pongola sugar mill was in desperate need of an upgrade. They experienced extensive downtime, breakages and stoppages, including 33–40 blackouts a season. Their dependence on external resources for any maintenance also caused extended production losses due to slow response times. RCL's modernisation was designed to achieve:
• Improved uptime and reliability
• A scalable & expandable solution
• More operational information
• Empower the workforce to improve decision making
• Process control optimisation
• Access to local support & expertise
Apps, Analytics & Services: AVEVA industrial software*: System Platform, Historian, Historian Client, InTouch HMI (Remote Client)
Edge Control: Modicon M580 PAC, M340
Connected Products: X80 I/O, ConneXium network switches, Magelis HMI, Telefast ABE wiring interfaces
• Complete IIoT-ready EcoStruxure Plant solution, with integrated software and domain expertise provides better data access, visualisation and connectivity to the software.
• DCS modernisation: System Platform 2014 R2 is used as the supervisory to the juice preparation and crystallisation plant areas of the Pongola sugar mill. Each of these areas uses a level-3 M580 processor, X80 I/O and ABE field interface units. During the project, the scope was expanded and the sugar handling system was added on to the new M580 processor, thereby adding a platform for the expansion of the refinery section of the plant and removing the last bit of the old DCS at the site. Remote X80 I/O was used in a redundant ring with NRP links to fibre to distant substations. Magelis HMIs are used for the local displays in the factory.
• Partnering for success: To deliver the combined IIoT-ready hardware and software solution, Schneider Electric partnered with Control Software Solutions (CSS), a Master Alliance System Integrator Partner and Certified Wonderware Partner, because of their expertise in innovative and customised solutions and their track record for successfully delivering solutions using System Platform and Schneider Electric PLCs.
* The Schneider Electric industrial software business and AVEVA have merged to trade as AVEVA Group plc, a UK listed company. The Schneider Electric and Life is On trademarks are owned by Schneider Electric and are being licensed to AVEVA by Schneider Electric
• 20% increase in the plant's throughput
• Improved competitiveness
• Enabled technology (simplified process optimisation)
• Modern, high performance PLC system with high availability in RIO & Hot Standby
• Reduced downtime for better reliability
• Remote visibility and diagnosis
• Improved operational information thanks to new software standards
• Expert local support
• In-house first-line support
Alan Williamson, Manufacturing Executive Pongola Sugar Mill, RCL Foods.
"Over the period of implementation, the Schneider Electric system has substantially contributed to our 20% increase in throughput in the plant. Our vision for the future is to continue modernising the plant in partnership with Schneider towards our mission — more food to more people, more often."
Intuitive Industries — Digitised
EcoStruxure for Food and Beverage
Alliance System Integrator Programme
Read more customer stories
Find answers now. Search for a solution on your own, or connect with one of our experts.
Reach out to our customer care team to receive more information, technical support, assistance with complaints and more.