Building smart machines for smart packagingBy integrating EcoStruxure Machine solutions, innovative machine builder SOMIC delivers smart, high-performance packaging systems that provide twice the output with half the footprint.
• They wanted to meet market requirements for innovative, intelligent, and smarter machines by building the most compact and high-performance solutions possible, almost cabinet-less, that incorporate preventive maintenance with an augmented reality interface.
• Because their customers are looking for reliability, production security, and the high availability in machines, these are also priorities for SOMIC, all while delivering compact technology.
Apps, Analytics & Services: EcoStruxure Augmented Operator Advisor
Edge Control: PacDrive LMC Pro, EcoStruxure Machine Expert, Harmony Edge Box and industrial PC
Connected products: Lexium servo drives
When SOMIC set out to build its high-performance coffee capsule packaging machine with 76 motion axes, they designed and engineered the machine without so much as lifting a screwdriver. Instead, they used a digital twin which simulated the real performance of the machine. A smart Schneider Electric controller and EcoStruxure Machine Expert allowed them to work virtually for added flexibility.
For safe and speedy machine diagnosis and maintenance, SOMIC uses EcoStruxure Augmented Operator Advisor, Schneider Electric’s augmented reality application. It saves time by enabling operators to open the machine's cabinet doors virtually, using a mobile tool, rather than having to do it manually. They can also identify and resolve issues virtually, without having to physically work on dangerous machines.
Smart machines for smart manufacturing: Integrating Schneider Electric’s EcoStruxure Machine solutions, SOMIC’s high-performance coffee capsule packaging machine offers its customers:
• 40% energy management savings
• The highest output on a minimal footprint (almost cabinet-less)
• Best-in-class maintenance
• Continuous optimization during operation
• Short time to market
Using the augmented reality technology of EcoStruxure Augmented Operator Advisor, the machine cabinet can be opened virtually, helping to reduce downtime and improve service. By providing operators with fast, immediate access in the field to real-time data, manuals and diagrams, it also helps speed up machine operation and maintenance.
Patrick Bonetsmüller, CEO, SOMIC Group
“Schneider Electric’s EcoStruxure has enabled us to achieve maximum performance in our machines.”
Food and Beverage
Smart automation solutions for smart machines
Access more customer stories
Find answers now. Search for a solution on your own, or connect with one of our experts.
Reach out to our customer care team to receive more information, technical support, assistance with complaints and more.