The most intelligent and sustainable green college in ChinaSchwarzman College at Tsinghua University in Beijing was looking for the right partner to collaborate on renovations that brought together traditional oriental design with cutting edge solutions to optimize energy efficiency and create an inspiring place for scholars.
The Challenge• Designed by Professor Robert A.M. Stern, former dean of the Yale School of Architecture and a founder of post-modernism architectural style, the goal was to blend existing traditional oriental design with the latest technology in energy management.
• Integrating Eastern and Western architecture design standards and project management practices, the project needed to maintain the integrity of the current space while accommodating the required updates.
• The integration of both teaching and living environments increased demands on air and water quality, as well as temperature control and energy consumption.
The SolutionApps, Analytics & Services: Consulting Services
Edge Control: EcoStruxure Building Operation, Energy Management System, Power Monitoring Expert, Intelligent Lighting System
Connected Products:Transmission and distribution systems
• EcoStruxure laid the groundwork for LEED Gold certification approval by optimizing energy efficiency and sustainability at Schwarzman College.
• EcoStruxure Building provides intelligent, seamless and unified management of each subsystem within the buildings. EcoStruxure Building Operation applications included building energy systems, energy management systems, intelligent lighting systems, room control systems, video control systems, fire alarm systems, integrated cabling systems, panel switches, LV & MV distribution and transformers, and terminal control boxes.
• Energy Management System (EMS) monitors and controls energy consumption, identifies energy-saving space, analyzes energy consumption cost, predicts energy consumption and equipment operation trends, as well as implements data statistics with the help of Power Monitoring Expert (PME).
• The combination of PME and EMS allows the monitoring and optimization of energy and ensures the efficient and connected operation of Schwarzman College, paving the way for continuous improvements in quality of service and the efficiency of the College.
The Results• Successfully passed all operating efficiency and energy consumption tests and commissioning before final delivery.
• Recipient of the LEED Gold certification (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) under the LEED-New Construction system, a globally recognized symbol of sustainability achievement.
• Architectural Digest named Schwarzman College among the nine best new university buildings in the world – the only one in China! (2017)
• Created safe, comfortable, sustainable living environments for both teachers and students to thrive.