Sustainable development involves the integration of environmental, social, and economic goals of the society to improve the overall well-being of individuals in the present world without sacrificing the potential of future generations to do the same.
Environment development and sustainability include adopting approaches that have a mutual benefit and making compromises wherever necessary.
The major challenges to environment development and sustainability
Before looking at the various approaches to sustainable development, it is vital to have a clear idea about the challenges that stand in the way of environment development and sustainability in developing nations.
- Poverty is a matter of great concern, especially for developing countries where one out of every five persons is below the poverty line  . It poses serious challenges to the economic development of a country and leads to an increase in diseases, crime, and drug use.
- Political disturbances are another significant hurdle to effective economic growth. Instability on a political level can lead to conflict between military establishments, leading to loss of life and infrastructure. The irregularity in income and other differences between several ethnic groups and minorities can spur political instability in developing nations.
- Environment degradation that is done under the banner of ‘development’ can rarely lead to any positive outcome for developing nations. On the contrary, it hinders the country’s hope for a sustainable future and depletes the non-renewable reserves of the country.
- Overpopulation: High consumption levels present serious challenges to economic development and sustainability. An uncontrolled rise in population levels puts an excessive amount of pressure on natural resources.
Some practical approaches to economic development and sustainability
- Aligning organizational objectives with the global sustainability goals is one of the most productive approaches to ensuring environment development and sustainability. Industries and other enterprises need to integrate their future plans with that of the environment and ensure a unified approach.
- The sustainable development goals must be leveraged by organizations as a comprehensive guide to the initiation of new projects. Sustainable goals can act as the perfect guide and identify any negative impacts that the process might have on the environment.
- Offering encouraging financial incentives can facilitate the effective transformation to sustainable means. Miners can find it exceptionally difficult to curb production activities despite having a significant impact on the environment. Healthy financial support can help companies make the transition without incurring heavy losses.
- Educating the young about the reversible and irreversible impact of climate change  is a necessity in the modern world. Students across the globe need to know the repercussions of opting for anything that is not sustainable. This can allow future generations to comprehend the impact of sustainable solutions and integrate it effectively across various industries.
- Supervising industrial developments is another excellent way to ascertain environmental development and sustainability. Assessing the environmental impacts of industrial processes can assist in transforming industries and reducing the overall carbon footprint. Without adequate monitoring, carbon emissions can increase, and it can make it arduous for industries to sail through routine regulation checks.
The benefits of implementing environment development strategies
While implementing the strategies would incur an additional financial burden, the long-term benefits would far outweigh the costs. Involving the common population and stakeholders from the private and industrial sectors would represent a wider spectrum of participation that would further contribute toward a productive analysis of sustainable investment opportunities.
Unreliable policies and investments can be duly identified and fixed at an earlier stage, facilitating seamless investment decisions. Furthermore, a high degree of participation helps stakeholders secure the resources necessary to execute sustainable development initiatives with maximum ease.
Economic development and sustainability strategies help assess and resolve any form of conflict that may arise among stakeholders at an earlier stage. This is highly beneficial for organizations as it allows the alleviation of the risk of high costs that could arise due to any form of conflict.
Constructing a sustainable future with Schneider Electric
Schneider Electric is continually working toward accelerating sustainability and inclusiveness on a global level. We are heading the way to expedite sustainable progress across communities and our valuable associations. We have pledged to become carbon-neutral in operations by 2025 and end to end by 2040. With sustainability present at the core of everything we do, our robust and aspiring targets for a sustainable impact are aligned with the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals.
With our new Schneider Sustainability Impact (SSI) program, we aim to expedite our sustainability efforts and provide an increased amount of people with equal access to opportunities and energy. Dedicated to ensuring a better future for our planet, SSI seeks to effectively contribute toward the attainment of sustainable development goals as curated by the United Nations. We are backed up by a total of 11 global and local targets that make way for a dual impact and empower us to drive action through our partners, local communities, and customers.
Find answers now. Search for a solution on your own, or connect with one of our experts.
Reach out to our customer care team to receive more information, technical support, assistance with complaints and more.
Where to buy?
Easily find the nearest Schneider Electric distributor in your location.
Search topic-related frequently asked questions to find answers you need.