Data centers and sustainability
Data meets nature
Green Mountain case studyGreen Mountain puts the power of nature to use in their secure data centre, deep inside a Norwegian mountain.
• In today's data-driven world, the uptime of colocation data centres—vast banks of servers that process everything from online videos to financial assets—is essential.
• Delivering secure and reliable data centre services can come at an environmental cost though: energy use in data centres today contributes to 2% of global CO2 emissions.
Edge Control: Power Logic Controls
Connected Products: InRow cooling system, Scalable InfraStruxure, Symmetra™ MW UPSs, Canalis LV busway, Prisma LV Distribution, SM6 + transformers, MV/Citect Scada, Uniflair™ technical room coolers, Infrastruxure™ hot aisle containment systems with in-row coolers and racks
• When Green Mountain decided to implement the idea of a green data centre, they needed contractors and suppliers that had the most energy efficient and reliable solutions available in the market. They chose Schneider Electric.
• The solution includes DCIM tools and control components, and uses gravity to bring the cold water of an adjacent fjord to the data centre's cooling station
• The data centre achieved a "Tier III Certification of Constructed Facility" designation from the Uptime Institute in Q2 of 2015. A Tier III-certified data centre, the IT room boasts an impressive Power Usage Effectiveness (PUE) of less than 1.2. Green Mountain measures and reports PUE in real-time to customers.
• With the help of Schneider Electric, Green Mountain built a seawater cooling system that does not use power and it is not reliant on refrigerant gases.
• Powered by 100% renewable hydro power, Green Mountain supports the critical uptime needs of its customers and operates as one of the greenest data centres in the world with close to zero CO2 emissions.
• The project received the Green Data Centre of the Year award in 2013.
Learn about our small business solutions
Critical Facilities Management
Innovation for Data Centers: In the Cloud and at the Edge
Solutions for Colocation Providers
Software and Services
Read more customer stories
Find answers now. Search for a solution on your own, or connect with one of our experts.
Reach out to our customer care team to receive more information, technical support, assistance with complaints and more.