Building smart machines for smart packagingBy integrating EcoStruxure™ Machine solutions, innovative machine builder, SOMIC, delivers smart, high-performance packaging systems that provide twice the output with half the footprint.
• They wanted to meet market requirements for innovative, intelligent and smarter machines by building the most compact and high-performance solutions possible, almost cabinet-less, that incorporate preventive maintenance with an augmented reality interface.
• Because their customers are looking for reliability, production security and high availability in machines, these are also priorities for SOMIC, all while delivering compact technology.
Apps, Analytics and Services: EcoStruxure™ Augmented Operator Advisor
Edge Control: PacDrive LMC Pro, EcoStruxure™ Machine Expert, Harmony Edge Box and industrial PC
Connected products: Lexium servo drives
When SOMIC set out to build its high-performance coffee capsule packaging machine with 76 motion axes, they designed and engineered the machine without so much as lifting a screwdriver. Instead, they used a digital twin, which simulated the real performance of the machine. A smart Schneider Electric controller and EcoStruxure™ Machine Expert allowed them to work virtually for added flexibility.
For safe and speedy machine diagnosis and maintenance, SOMIC uses EcoStruxure™ Augmented Operator Advisor, Schneider Electric's augmented reality application. It saves time by enabling operators to open the machine's cabinet doors virtually, using a mobile tool, rather than having to do it manually. They can also identify and resolve issues virtually, without having to physically work on dangerous machines.
Smart machines for smart manufacturing: Integrating Schneider Electric's EcoStruxure™ Machine solutions, SOMIC's high-performance coffee capsule packaging machine offers its customers:
• 40% energy management savings
• The highest output on a minimal footprint (almost cabinet-less)
• Best-in-class maintenance
• Continuous optimisation during operation
• Short time to market
Using the augmented reality technology of EcoStruxure™ Augmented Operator Advisor, the machine cabinet can be opened virtually, helping to reduce downtime and improve service. By providing operators with fast, immediate access in the field to real-time data, manuals and diagrams, it also helps speed up machine operation and maintenance.
Patrick Bonetsmüller, CEO, SOMIC Group
"Schneider Electric's EcoStruxure™ has enabled us to achieve maximum performance in our machines."
Food and Beverage
Smart automation solutions for smart machines
Read more customer stories