Smart manufacturing for the steel industryChinese steel giant Baosteel transforms its steel manufacturing with EcoStruxure Plant, increasing production by up to 30%, improving worker safety and reducing labour costs.
• Rising labour costs
• Tighter operational safety standards
• Energy efficiency
• Lack of innovation
Officially launched in September 2016, the workshop is set to become an automatic, unmanned and smart platform for product manufacturing management.
Apps, Analytics & Services: Expert engineering services
Edge Control: Modicon M580 PAC, SCADA, and Partner software solution (Fluxx by Synthetis) for management of crane and warehousing operations
Connected products: Altivar Process drives, Magelis HMI, circuit breakers, inverters and switches
Schneider Electric's EcoStruxure Plant delivered the automation solution, technology and services that Baosteel sought for this major project:
• Industry solutions for unmanned cranes: A complete set of offers, including circuit breaker, inverter, Modicon M580 PAC, safety PAC, switch, Fluxx crane management software and energy management system.
• Optimised hoisting and logistics system algorithm: Key equipment, including special sensors, ensures an optimal operational state during unattended operation.
• Connected systems: Operational conditions of all equipment are monitored in real time; digital operation of manufacturing equipment is empowered; and supply chain control and decision-making processes are carried out in an intelligent manner.
• Expert engineering services: Expert guidance and customised solutions were provided based on a wealth of industry experience and in accordance with Baosteel's specific needs. The solutions include a three-level service system for local and remote services, to ensure timely responses to the customer's requirements.
• 30% improvement in productivity.
• Reduced labour costs: The solution has enabled 98% of crane operations to be fully autonomous, which has reduced labour requirements, significantly improved work efficiency and effectively ensured the safety of operators.
• With an average daily output of up to 10,500 tonnes, the slab stack transfer rate has been increased from its original 30% to between 70% and 80%, greatly improving logistics management and completely eliminating material losses.
• Reduced mechanical wear and more efficient asset maintenance and utilisation.
• Digital operation and higher level of intelligence for the complete supply chain, analysis and decision-making process.
Wenqing Yuan, Hot Rolling Mill Plant Director, Baosteel
"With Schneider Electric's expertise in energy management and automation, the 1580 hot rolling workshop will see significant improvement in engineering control, efficient and smart operation, safety and reliability."
Metal industry solutions
The value of the IoT for manufacturers
Smart crane management
Read more customer stories
Find answers now. Search for a solution on your own, or connect with one of our experts.
Reach out to our customer care team to receive more information, technical support, assistance with complaints and more.