IssueWhat are the steps in order to use my Network Management Card 2 or 3 to update my Smart UPS firmware? Product Line
Smart-UPS models with the prefix SRT/XU/XP/SMX/SMT/SCL/SRC with a Network Management Card installedEnvironment
- Supported UPS model listed above
- UPS Network Management Card 2 (AP9630, AP9630CH, AP9631, or AP9631CH) with Firmware 6.4 or higher
- UPS Network Management Card 3 (AP9640, AP9641)
- Correct firmware file for the particular UPS (Links are found below)
UPS Firmware Updates allow for continuous improvements and feature enhancements. We recommend using the APC Firmware Upgrade Wizard via a Serial or USB connection to the UPS whenever possible. The APC Firmware Upgrade Wizard guides you through the upgrade process and incorporates more checks, providing a more consistent upgrade experience.
You can find the Firmware Upgrade Wizard in Kbase #FA164737
. Instructions are being provided here for users that are unable use the Firmware Upgrade Wizard and wish to upgrade their Smart-UPS Firmware using an APC Network Management Card.Resolution
Follow the steps below to determine your current firmware revision, select the proper firmware image, and update the UPS via the Network Management Card web interface. A video demonstrating this procedure can be found below, and a complete user's guide is attached to this Kbase document in PDF format. Step 1
- Verify the firmware revision of your Network Management Card (AP9630, AP9630CH, AP9631, or AP9631CH). From the NMC web interface choose “About”, then “Network”.Firmware level must be 6.4.0 or higher
Network Management Card 3 (AP9640, AP9641) support this functionality on all firmware revisions.Step 2
– Find the correct UPS Firmware Image.
The "Microlink ID" is a unique identifier for the hardware platform of your UPS. We use the "ID" number to make sure we select the correct firmware file. Sometimes one specific model UPS may have different "ID" numbers depending on when it was produced. Always check the "ID" number of the unit you are going to upgrade. Always check the "ID" number of the unit you are going to upgrade and ensure you use the firmware file with the compatible ID. Using the incorrect firmware file can result in damage to the UPS.Download the latest Firmware Images and Release Notes HERE.Use the chart below to determine your proper FW image:
- Use the UPS "ID" number to select the proper Image for your UPS.
- From the NMC web interface choose “About”, then “Network”:
Firmware Revision Table
|UPS ID||Prefix||Latest Firmware||After Firmware Upgrade||Firmware Upgrade with Output On|
|1000||SMC||SMC1000UPS_10-0||UPS 10.0|| |
|1005||SMC||SMC1005UPS_12-0||UPS 12.0|| |
|1007||SMC||SMC1007UPS_11-0||UPS 11.0|| |