Discover Modicon X80 modules
About Modicon X80 modules range
Modicon X80 modules are the common range for Modicon M580 and Modicon M340 platforms. The modules are used locally in the local rack of Modicon M340 or Modicon M580, and can also be used in an X80 remote rack (Drop) in an Ethernet IO architecture on Modicon M580 or Modicon Quantum
Modicon X80 range is one important part of EcoStruxure Plant, an open, flexible, reliable, sustainable, safe, and secure architecture.
EcoStruxure™ Control Expert(formerly known as "Unity Pro") is the common programming and configuration software for all X80 modules.
Benefits of Modicon X80 modulesReduce time to profit - e.g. save up to 3 weeks on a 3 month project resulting in $2 million of extra production at launch.
Process efficiencyImprove process efficiency through 5X faster scan time, and gain up to US $2 million annually for a typical high volume manufacturing plant with the latest processing technologies.
Process safetyThe Modicon M580 Safety Controller is the only PAC in the marketplace that can offer 100% ROI within three months of implementation.
Easy maintenanceModicon X80 modules support more than the standard requirement for robustness even in a severe environment with a solid construction, compliant to international standards, and marine certifications.
Modicon M580 – The World’s First ePACKevin Gag, Senior Solutions Consultant at the Coventry Innovation Hub.
Modicon M580 ePAC (Ethernet programmable automation controllers) offers openness, flexibility, robustness, and sustainability.
Modicon M580 - Safety ControllerDave Sutton, Marketing Manager of Automation products in UK.
The new Modicon M580 safety controller, which is suitable for more critical applications.
Modicon M340/X80 – Nuclear versionAdrien Malbrancq, Sales Manager for the nuclear segment in France.
The Modicon M340 PAC (and now M580 ePAC) based on Modicon X80 I/Os is qualified K3/C3 for nuclear applications like redundant power generation for a cooling system.
Modicon X80 modules features
• A comprehensive range of I/O and expert modules: 1ms at source system time stamping (Sequence Of Event), counting, Turbo Machinery Control (TMC), HART protocol, weighing, diagnostics.
• Simplified ordering process and spare parts management via single IO platform for Modicon M580 and Modicon M340.
• Openness: Offers large support of field buses and protocols with AS-I, CANopen, Profibus DP, Serial (Modbus and ASCII), legacy (e.g. Interbus-S).
• Connectivity: Easy integration of field devices and 3rd party products through standard FDT/DTM technology.
• Time savings in engineering and commissioning with EcoStruxure Control Expert Software through simulation tool, bit forcing, predefined libraries, and motion function blocks for CANopen, code checking.
• Wiring time savings with a large choice of prewired cables for easy connectivity to X80 modules.
• Easy evolution during operations without process stop via Change Configuration On the Fly (CCOTF) functions and add devices online.
• High availability: redundant X80 power supplies, use of main X80 modules in redundant architecture.
• Reliability and robustness: These high-quality modules are proven to use in Modicon M340 and Modicon M580 large installed base. Also, support more than the required standards in terms of shocks, vibrations, and EMC environment.
• Certified offer: Compliant to international environmental standards for all main regions and specific segments (Power generation, Functional safety, Marine, Hazardous areas, Fire and Gas, Railway, Nuclear).
• Compact modules: High-density modules with up to 32 channels with removable terminal blocks and up to 64 channels with preassembled cord set to reduce space in the control cabinet.
• Sturdy modules to support severe environmental conditions: conformal coating and can be used in the extended temperature range (-40ºC to +70ºC).
• Optimized maintenance with native channel self-diagnostics (Device DDT structured data), Faulty Device Replacement (FDR) functions, preventive maintenance features for redundant power supplies, and hot-swappable modules.
• SIL3 rating approved by TÜV Rheinland: Safety X80 I/O and power supplies can be mixed with standard process I/O that have been approved as non-interfering modules with safety tasks by TÜV.
• Common safety: combined safety and standard non-interfering modules in the same PAC configuration to reduce spare parts, training costs and eliminate the need for complex communications between safety and process PLC.
• When used with Modicon M580 Safety, Safety X80 modules are certified for machine and process safety applications.
• Functional equivalent X80 modules to ease substitution of your Modicon Quantum or Modicon Premium installed base
• Quick-wiring adapters for X80 I/O modules to retain existing field devices and wiring
• Retain fieldbuses networks and distributed IOs used in legacy platforms such as Modbus Plus, Interbus-S, or Ethway (X-Way) with dedicated X80 communication modules and gateways.
• I/O interface to retain existing Modicon I/O platforms with Modicon M580 controllers (Modicon Premium I/Os via X-Bus and Modicon Quantum I/O drops in S908 or Ethernet IO networks)
• Preserve and capitalize on your investment and accumulated know-how with several software application code conversion tools (e.g. EcoStruxure Control Expert LL984 language converter, UMAC “Unity Modicon M580 Application Converter or EcoStruxure Control Engineering)
Modicon X80 I/Os
The common platform of modules for Modicon M580, Quantum Ethernet I/O and M340 PAC
All modules with X80 form factor: backplane, power supply, I/O digital, I/O analog, communication, expert, etc.