Intelligent transportation linking people with the city
Shanghai Metro partnered with Schneider Electric to help ensure smooth operations for a complex, busy rail system. By leveraging IoT-enabled EcoStruxure Power, Shanghai Metro can help ensure safe and comfortable experiences for passengers.
• Shanghai Metro carries nearly 10 million passengers each day, serving 52% of residents. Managing the rail network is becoming increasingly difficult thanks to the expansion of metro lines and stations, an increasingly complex system, and the large volume of passenger flow.
• There is an urgent need to guarantee the safe, reliable and efficient operation of Shanghai Metro while providing passengers with a comfortable and convenient experience.
• Electrical safety and stability in the stations. There are a lot of electrical facilities that consume a large amount of power inside the limited space of the stations. Uninterrupted and stable power supply is necessary to guarantee the normal operation of various systems.
• Environment and safety in the stations. As more passengers use the system, it is critical to control the temperature, humidity, ventilation and lighting for comfortable station environments.
• Emergencies and disasters impose higher requirements on the fault tolerance, reliability and comprehensive response of the systems.
• Data collection and information management. The complex, isolated systems and the intricate operations of equipment make it a daunting task to collect, monitor and analyze data between connected systems.
• Operation and maintenance cost. Manpower costs make up a large portion of annual operational expenses. The complex operations of managing equipment raise maintenance costs year by year.
Edge Control: BAS
Connected products: Operation system, distribution system, electromechanical devices and spare parts
• Schneider Electric, a trusted service provider for Shanghai Metro over many years, was selected to address the challenges. Through its IoT-enabled EcoStruxure platform, Schneider Electric helps Shanghai Metro across four areas: power distribution, environmental control, connectivity and service.
• IT and OT are integrated to help users innovate at three levels – Connected Products, Edge Control, and Apps, Analytics and Services.
• Schneider Electric solutions help Shanghai Metro improve operational efficiency, sustainability, asset performance, feasibility data and employee productivity.
• LV/MV Power System helps to guarantee the stability and safety of the electrical facilities.
• Electromechanical Equipment Automation System (BAS) monitors the environment of the stations (ventilation, water and electricity) and based on the data collected, ensures the efficient operation of the environmental control equipment and provides passengers an optimal environment.
• On-site emergency service. Schneider Electric engineers are ready to respond to any urgent need for on-site maintenance and provide technical support from installation and debugging through emergency maintenance to product training.
• Spare parts package service. A warehouse of urgent spare parts in the Schneider Electric Shanghai Logistics Center ensures the quickest supply of urgent spare parts to Shanghai Metro.
• Schneider Electric solutions have significantly enhanced the smart management, electrical safety and environment of Shanghai Metro stations, and safeguarded systems operations.
• Schneider Electric provided critical emergency maintenance and timely provision of spare parts.
• Today, busy passengers at any Shanghai Metro station can safely and comfortably arrive at their destinations thanks to Schneider Electric solutions.
Secure Power Solutions for Railways and Subways
Masterpact™ MTZ air circuit breaker
Schneider Electric Professional Services
Field and Automation Services
Access more customer stories
Find answers now. Search for a solution on your own, or connect with one of our experts.
Reach out to our customer care team to receive more information, technical support, assistance with complaints and more.