From sugar to energy, safelyWilmar Sugar, Australia’s largest sugar producer and a major provider of renewable energy from biomass, uses an EcoStruxure Plant solution to simplify its control systems and improve operational safety.
• Improve productivity by simplifying control systems into a single interface that provides a complete view of all systems.
• Reduce safety risks and inefficiencies due to seasonal staff turnover.
Apps Analytics and Services: AVEVA’s DYNSIM Dynamic Simulation*
Edge Control: Modicon M580 Safety & M340 PLCs, AVEVA’s Citect SCADA*
Connected Products: Magelis HMI, Trio radios, TeSys T motor protection relays, MasterPact NW circuit breakers
Wilmar has been working with Schneider Electric for more than a decade so it chose an EcoStruxure Plant solution for the upgrade to its boiler control system:
• Modicon M580 Safety PLCs replaced multiple controllers which were previously monitored individually.
• AVEVA’s Citect SCADA software provides the user-interface for factory controls at the mills. With the help of mobile devices, the software enables remote access to the systems.
* The Schneider Electric industrial software business and AVEVA have merged to trade as AVEVA Group plc, a UK listed company. The Schneider Electric and Life is On trademarks are owned by Schneider Electric and are being licensed to AVEVA by Schneider Electric.
• Optimized maintenance and productivity: By simplifying the control systems into one interface, Wilmar can now run simple alerts and reports for preventative maintenance. Remote access to the system also means that operators can quickly and easily log into the system in the event of a fault at any time and from anywhere, reducing downtime.
• Improved safety: Installation of the M580 Safety PLCs has allowed Wilmar to increase factory automation, driving better efficiencies through improved operational performance. Less direct contact with the machines increases safety for maintenance staff.
“EcoStruxure Plant provides us with a more thorough picture of our infrastructure. We have been able to combine our automation, connectivity and software into one system which allows us real-time control and visibility.”
Russell Brown, General Manager for Asset Management, Wilmar Sugar Australia